BSA repair

Well I finally got a round tuit and applied some to the BSA generator set over the weekend.

The first job was to get at the points. I'd been cleaning them via the access hole for some time but a more determined effort was needed. This meant removing the fuel tank, engine cowl and the flywheel. To remove said flywheel needed a puller. Nothing spectacular, I found a piece of ally offcut about =BD" x =BE" section that had enough length. The flywheel has two tapped holes either side of the crank end. These were

1/4" UNC or BSW. I assumed UNC. Not that it makes much difference at that size. The ally bar was clearance drilled and a central hole drilled and tapped for the puller bolt. I decided on 3/8 UNF, it being a nice fine thread. As the puller was ally, I helicoiled the hole to give it more strength.

Having made the tool, I had to prove it worked. The various bolts were applied and the centre bolt tightened. I was surprised just how much force was needed to remove the flywheel. Then I found it was a taper fit onto the crank. That explained the tightness.

Now I could get the points off and clean them properly. The pitting wasn't as bad as I thought it might be but a good rub on wet and dry worked wonders. Working on the principal that some is good so more must be better, I dug out my diamond wetstones. These are the multicoloured plastic backed type that we have all seen. A quick wetting and the points were rubbed along them. They worked remarkably well. The pitting soon disappeared. I took care to try and maintain the slight concave surface of the points while I did this. A final clean with the fine stone left a nice looking finish.

The engine oil looked a little sad so that was changed for new stuff. The engine was then cleaned with petrol to remove the build up of oil and dust before being assembled.

The time to test run it had arrived. Petrol was poured into the tank and turned on. After a few minutes, fuel spilled out of the carb. That was without the tickler. The float valve has been iffy for some time and has so far resisted all my attempts to make it work. Anyone know where I can get another? The good thing is it helps cold starting and the thing bust into life on the third pull. A quick check on the electrics said they were working so I left it to run for a while. The problem was the crankcase breather was spluttering more oil than I thought reasonable. Perhaps I've overfilled the sump. The plan is to take it to IF for the crankup so we will see how it goes then. Comments from the knowledgeable ones will be received with interest.

Now all I have to do is find the time to paint it.

John

Reply to
John