BSA Small Engine

I got a small BSA engine at Sodbury last week and spent today trying to get it going. The main problem seemed to be that the Wipac flywheel ignition had got a bit rusty, but I cleaned it up and now it starts but will not run. I think it will be OK if I can get the timing spot on. Does anybody have a manual of any sort or ignition setting info? Engine number is 90RG6ZP. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Squid

If it fires up but does not run the problem is more likely to be something bunged up in the carburetter.

Reply to
crn

BSA made various small engines, mostly defined by size. There's a manual for one on the Internal Fire web site.

John

Reply to
John

ISTR the timing is fixed as the points bear on a cam behind the flywheel. If the gap is right, so is the timing. The problem certainly sounds like a dirty carb.

John

Reply to
John

To add to the chorus, the carb will be your culprit. Blocked pilot jet, I'd guess, easily done if it's been under someones bench for a decade!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hurrah - cleaned the carb out - started first pull - runs lovely.

Congratulations on your excellent diagnostic skills gentlemen!

Reply to
Squid