Missing flywheel magnet on generator engine!

Hello,

I've recently aquired a non-running generator badged "Nixon" which I understand to be manufactured by "Kipor" who make clones of Honda equipment. I have several Kipor generators and can't fault them.

The reason it doesn't run is down to no spark, which is because the magnet on the flywheel is missing! There is a rectangular patch of grubby glue residue on the flywheel, so I have to assume that the magnet departed from the flywheel when it last ran.

I'm trying to get the unit running on the cheap, and wondered if anyone knew of a source of "generic" flywheel magnets which I can glue on in the right place? If I can't get a suitable magnet easily to drive the existing coil an opton may be to make up a new ignition system for it with a small magnet, reed switch and a coil from a car? I have most of these bits lying around, but obviously it would need a battery to energise the coil to get the thing running in the first place (which the generator's 12v output could charge), and getting the timing right could be interesting.

Any ideas of where to get a suitable magnet from? Anyone built a replacement ignition system for an engine before?

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Surely popping down to your local hire shop workshop or mower service center and picking up a seized / knackered Honda short motor out of their skip for £10 and transplanting the entire flywheel would be better?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Possibly. I havn't yet removed the flywheel, but I can see that the windings of the alternator for the generator are incorporated within/under the flywheel, so I think a "stanndard" flywheel may not be compatible. I'll remove it for a better look. I could try and remove the magnet from a donor short engine however, which should fit OK

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Sorry I am not clear if this is a GX'123' style engine close coupled to an alternator a la normal generator, or an inverter type where the engine is coupled to 'nothing'? Can you take a pic and post it on a site??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I'll take a picture this evening and post it to a site. It's an inverter type, with the alternator behind the flywheel, as apposed to a traditional engine coupled to an alternator as seperate units. The engine itself is a copy of a Honda GX200 unit, however the flywheel design is slightly different due to the built-in alternator.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan