need my server racks rekeyed

Hello all. I am looking for replacement locks for 2 hp 10000 series server racks. Ufortunatly all racks from HP are keyed the same. Can anyone help me on getting them rekeyed. It seems there are no locksmiths in this area that can do this?

Reply to
Mike

The locks I have seen on the HP racks are common wafer locks. Tell that to the locksmith and they should jump at it. It should be no problem to rekey them. Warning: I don't have any HP racks handy to verify that.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

10000 series

same. Can

no

contact HP and see if you can buy some new ones from them. it will probably be just as cost effective as rekeying.

g'luck

Reply to
"Key

Ufortunatly all racks from HP are keyed the same and they dont sell any locks that are different. They told me to contact a locksmith. Go figure!

Reply to
auto solution

Reply to
Jim Gaynor

told me to

noted, didn't realize that they sold all locks keyed alike. take one out and bring it to your local lock shop. after they see it, they will probably be able to rekey it.

g'luck

Reply to
"Key

What area are you in?

They are probably cam locks, but a lot of the cam locks that come with things like your servers are more cheaply made, and the cam is pressed on and peened over, so-to-speak. They don't come apart. (Well, they do. They just don't go back together very well) :)

What the locksmiths you've aproached are saying is that they can't rekey _those_ locks. Why not just replace them? You may (or may not) need to modify the cams. If so you can do that with a grinder, hacksaw, and/or file.

They will generally run you $6 - $13 a piece. If you go with the $13 ones you can have tubular or "Ace" keys (like the old soda machine locks) which are much more pick resistant.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

I think that they are really saying that they can't rekey those locks economically. I.e., they could do it, but not at a price that would make sense to you. My guess is that they could do a good job in less than one hour labor per lock - but that they think it's a waste of time to quote you $75 per lock to rekey.

If my guess is correct - then you can see why this alternative is much more economical.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer