New tool required!

OK boys, just when you thought you had all the screwdrivers they made...

Roger Shoaf

Here's a favorable opinion from someone not lox

Hands-On: LOX Screws - In 2001, LOX decided to try and take on the industry standard, offering a new design of "fastener recess" - the part of the fastener's head that your driver's bit grabs to drive it. Their "offset-square" design offers 12 points of contact. which they say lessens your need to "bear down" on the driver to keep the fastener engaged - and reduces stripping. - Of course, never being one to believe what we hear, we put some LOX screws to the test.

Lotsa photos phillips vs lox + 14 responses to the article posted including references to the Robertson, which is square.

Lox's site sez they are superior to Robertson/square, of course.

Reply to
Mike Easter

Reply to
Erik

It looks like this would come in real handy for mounting strike plates.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reading all of the well researched and demonstrated advantages at the site, it is clearly a superior recess in very many ways.

Not only is it much much more 'tolerant' of torque, but requires much much less 'force' into the recess to achieve that torque. Definitely superior to both phillips and square by a long shot according to the lox data -- so it comes down to the cost and availability of screws and drivers or bits.

Reply to
Mike Easter

That looks very useful for metal work, but I'd be concerned about having TOO MUCH torque when going into wood frames and the like. Too much torque does make it easier to strip out the wood.

I have also had a few bad experiences with "facilities engineers" using their 19V cordless drills on the highest torque setting as screwdrivers ... BUT then again if they didn't have the correct head, they would be more inclined to leave it alone as trash it.

I tend to use the tamper-proof screws for high securiry applications.

Bogus

Torx and hexagon sockets also offer this, at much better availability.

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

My cheap set of bits covers all of them except philips pinhead.

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

I'm wondering if you can cram a Robertson in there, the square tip one. Make that work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is a problem, though, you can have the right bit, but it is too big to fit into the recess hole for the screw.

Double insulated electrical appliances require 'non standard' screws to keep lay people out (not sure about the North American situation) and presumably as more cheap screwdriver / socket bits are sold, the more exotic the design of screw heads that will be required.

Reply to
peterwn

Unless you need some degree of tamper proofing square drive has provided all the torque handling ability I need. I have removed some old corroded square drive screws and as long as you get the recess cleaned out so the bit seats I can't recall any real problems.

Reply to
Steve

pinhead.

is too

Ralph:

The gunsmithing people at

have an interesting assortment of precision tools--including screwdrivers and (I think) bits--which you may want to survey. Their quality is very good and their catalogue a fun downtime read.

If you have a problem with a bit too big to fit in a hole, a field expedient is to turn it in a drill against a piece of wet, coarse sandpaper until it has the appropriate diameter.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

If you want to be there all stinking day that might work. I would chick the bit in the drill and spin it while holding it against a spinning grinding wheel. Have a dip cup handy so you don't over heat.

This also works real good for sharpening a prick punch.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The upside to Brownells is that they are nice people too.... That's what's nice about small towns.

I live in Montezuma, IA, where they are located.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Rowell

interesting