Old Filing Cabinet

I have this old filing cabinet that has a safe in it with a Sargent and Greenleaf combo lock. The dial is about the circumference as the bottom of a coffee cup. On the inside of the cabinet door I see written in pencil from top down: L4 X 22 L3 X 85 L2 X 30 R1 X stop.

I have imagined this to be the combination (did I mention I do not know it?). Staring at 1, then left to 30, right past 85 to 85, and then left back to 22. This however yields no results, nor allows me access to the bag of diamonds that is surely inside. I have attempted the reverse of this as well without luck. Thoughts?

Byron

Reply to
Byron

Well having just read the posting about the Diebold I have tried to open it with 4+ turns left to 22, then right past 85 three times, then left past 30 two times, then right past 1 once to stop on 1 but still no go. There is no handle or anything to push.

Byron

Reply to
Byron

I have something similar to what your talking about. by chance is there a little sliver knob in the center of the dial that turns when the dial is on "0"? If so do this: L 4 times to 22 R past 85 TWICE stopping on the 3rd time you see it. L past 30 ONCE stopping on it the 2nd time you see it change directions and slowly, slowly turn dial to "0", turn the little knob till it stops and then continue to 85 and it should open if you have the right combination. pics here for limited time:

NO SPINDLE FOLLOW SAME DIRECTIONS, just skip the spindle part and go straight to 85/86 or the stopping point. Roger

Reply to
Roger Cann

So what happens? Does the dial stop on the final turn or just keep turning?

If this is an 8400 series lock with the little pointer knob in the middle of the dial, dial the combo in the usual order. After the last number is dialed turn R to 0, hold the dial on 0, turn the little pointer R as far as it goes, then turn the dial R to stop.

Reply to
Steve