Prices

Does anyone have the latest average nationwide prices form the Locksmith Ledger?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Farnan

tell me what month its in, and I got it somewhere

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I think it was in the November issue.

Thanks

Reply to
John Farnan

Here ya go...

ges/PriceSurveyResults.pdf

has a length of 86 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:

g'day

Reply to
Key

Yow, I'm way too cheap.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-#spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GwXCd.126140$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

that list looks like it may be wrong ! did ya see what "fit motorcycle key" in shop is going for ? nah....

Reply to
Key

compare it to LL.. there they seem more 'realistic', overall. but, there is always an exception.. I do have to wonder.. only ONE maybe responded to doing bike locks??

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I have to also wonder how may others one got one or just as few responses. reason that list looks like it may be wrong !

Reply to
Key

Don't you suppose some fill it out with off the wall stuff just to be a smart a$$.....

Leon

'Key wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

First, those folks generally won't spend the effort. Second, they can be pretty much screened out statistically by comparing them with surrounding shops. Third, I *think* this is a large enough sample space that they couldn't affect the results much without being _blatently_ stupid and getting discarded.

Remember, cost varies significantly from area to area, depending on supply and demand... and, in the case of vehicles, depending on what dealers are (over)charging for equivalent services.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

I would say that the in shop motorcycle charge has to be a printing error then. If it is supposed to be an average there's no way that can be correct...

Leon

Joe Kesselman (address as shown) wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Certainly looks like it to mee, now that I see the data sheet. $38.60, maybe?

The inconsistant rounding bothers me a bit too. If you're going to round to the nearest dollar, fine. If you're going to round to the nearest nickel, fine. Or penny. But either pick one and stick with it, or be very clear about what ranges of prices have what kind of rounding applied.

(A penny is legitimately more meaningful on a $3 charge than a $30 charge. But seeing $3.00, $9.50 and $14.85 on the sheet -- increasing precision as numbers get larger -- makes me suspicious about whether they're applying the same set of rules for all the categories. Or whether they didn't get enough responses to make this statistically meaningful and are trying not to admit this.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

yea probably :-)

Reply to
Key

no way anyone in their right mind would pay it either...

Reply to
Key

regarding the 'odd cents'..

take a bunch of numbers, and find the exact MIDDLE of them, and thats how you get the odd amounts... $14.65 for instance.. I forget if you are looking for the mean, or medium..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Obviously. But that should either be happening to all the numbers, or none of them, or there should be a rule such as "we won't worry about pennies when the number is over $5, nickels over $10, quarters over ..."

Basically, the chart as shown is either sloppy statistics or sloppy reporting. It's certainly close enough, it's just bad stylistically.