re; Asbestos - risky ?

Likely as not it could be powdered Tantalum, Alum, or a Gypsum like material.. Asbestos would be the less likely also do we not fit locks to "older fire rated doors" on a daily basis, I know I did for over 35 years and when done I would sweep up, scoop up, vacumn any debris which was all over my forearms by then after using flat power bits, hole saws etc. incidentally I would be good and sweaty by then and my skin pores well open , but hey I'm still here, still here, still here, still here,

Wwwwwwhack ThThThThThThTh Thud !!! Aaah tht's better, what I'm trying to say is I'm still still still - Shit I'm OK..

So don't panic as a few older lockies or safe techs if they ever found asbestos used as the only similar items with asbesto I recall was " fireproof" Ha joke - fire resistant filing or document cabinets

Reply to
Jimmy Valentine

I know where there are 5 filing cabinets that I will NOT work on, that DO have asbestos..and 1 safe sitting with 2 vials in the inside of the door thats still left alone.. otherwise, have not seen any (YET) safes that are 'filled with asbestos', and have worked on several 1 and 3 hour rated fire doors of same..its not that common.

IMO, if it looks and acts like cement, its probably not asbestos.(DO BE CAREFUL ANYWAY!!!) IF it looks like its got fibers.. it PROBABLY DOES... even the old car brake pads you could at times, see the fibers.. short as they were..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me