Re: Beginners Lock pick set Plus book for sale

Beginners set would be at least 100 pieces. After you've been in the biz for a while you find your favorite three or four.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think that is basically what the poster was trying to convey. Even though there wasn't a smiley at the end of the post.... That's the way I took it anyway.

Leon Rowell

SWAPS1122 wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

When I first started, I bought the whole enchilada! Maybe 30 picks and rakes (probably more if tructh be told.). Today I use my diamond (first choice) and sometimes my hook. Depending on the lock, I'll start with my manual pick gun and finish the last one or two pins with my diamond. The other picks & rakes never see the light of day.

Reply to
MThomas859

I completely agree it is a load of crap. However, I've seen it often enough. New locksmiths want the BIG set so that they can pick everything.

Or to impress others....

I see you've been in the biz for a while? You're down to three or four?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm no better than anyone else in this regard. Though, I wanted for years the executive pen pick set, but never bought one. Or the jack knife set, either.

I'm down to three that get the most use. Rake, then hook for pin tumblers, and half diamond most of ht etime for wafers, or rake.

My pick gun adjuster finally siezed up. I am so mechanically minded, I'm embarassed to say that I didn't put a drop of oil on the threads every few years. But I got it in 1982 or so, a Majestic. Time to buy a new one?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I use 3 now myself... and a LARGE radius hook ON OCCASION, for a certain purpose...so 3.5 sorta --Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--

mine broke finally where it holds the blade on... took it apart and braised it back together... havent broke the blade OR any spring inside YET...14 years now... got it as a freeeby when I subscribed to LL I think... --Shiva-- nuk pu nuk

Reply to
--Shiva--