Training program?

Hi, My husband is needing to get into another field of work, and we thought of locksmithing. Is there a specific training program or school that is highly regarded in this field? An at-home program would be best. I googled this topic but it came back with lots of different programs and schools.

My husband has been in a job where he walks all day long, and his feet are giving him problems. He can still walk, but he's trying to find another job where he isn't walking so much, and one where he doesn't have to go to school for years before he can start working. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Heather

Reply to
sugabutt

None of the at-home beginner programs are "highly regarded"; at best -- and with dedication on your part -- they'll teach you enough that you can then teach yourself more. See the FAQ for some comments about this.

There are a few highly regarded schools. Lockmasters is considered one of the best, but they focus mostly on safework, though they do have one beginner-level class. I'm not sure whether the FAQ includes a list of others; probably not...

See responses to the recent thread with subject "Hello" for some other comments and caveats regarding the requirements of the job, the requirements for being able to make a financial go of it (divide local population by 30,000, divide by number of locksmiths already operating in the area plus 1; if resulting number is <1 it's gonna be difficult), and the standard suggestion that you start by talking to local locksmiths about apprenticing/hiring on with one of them rather than trying to start on your own.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

sugabutt, this subject had been covered many times in the past. google is still your friend.

ining

has a length of 61 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Key

Thanks everyone! At least I have a good place to start researching now.

Heather

Reply to
sugabutt

Foley-Belsaw is the best at home training school and they include a keymachine and pick gun with their course. Tip: the course is $800 but if you call them and ask them for the $599 deal they will mail you a special order form with more information.

I Highly recommend them! I also suggest your husband check out
for additional information. A very friendly forum with locksmiths and lock pickers. Yes there are those who just like to pick locks as a hobby, and even collect locks just to tear them apart and rebuild them!

Foley really is a great school! They even help you get started in the business. At least check them out. Good Luck!

Reply to
Lockie

Foley-Belsaw is a waste of good $$$'s..

Reply to
Key

Rather then take my word for it, or this person's word for it (key), why not go to

and see what the majority of lockies have to say about Foley! They are the BEST home course offering the most. Obviously any home course will not substitute an apprenticeship where you can work closely with experienced locksmiths if your lucky to find one. But then again you could also be learning bad habits too! The Foley course will provide you the most basic training for you to get started. Obviously it is not complete. You will not be able to rush in to commercial or auto work. Commercial locks and installation most definitely requires more skills and hands on experience and no course can give you that. Same with auto locks accept not as difficult as commercial work.

If your looking for a starting point, and a home course, I doubt you will find better then Foley. Go to LP101 and read up on them. Don't take just one person's opinion : )

Reply to
Lockie