atomic spacing of latex

Hi, would anyone know, how far apart are the atoms in latex or rubber pls?

Thanks ant

Reply to
anthonybaker

Somewhere between half an angstrom and maybe two angstroms will cover all of the possible nearest neighbor bonded atoms in latex, and probably the intermolecular spacings as well.

A lot smaller than a football. A lot larger than a hydrogen nucleus. About on the order of the size of the atoms, in the first place. Which makes sense.

Which were you interested in, the spacing between the atoms in the polymer chains or the spacings between atoms in neighboring polymer chains?

A lot smaller than a football. A lot larger than a hydrogen nucleus. About on the order of the size of the atoms, in the first place. Which makes sense.

This is the second request for this in the last year. Any reason for this popularity?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Hi Jim Thanks for replying. apologies, i think i probably meant how far apart are the molecules in latex. ive always wondered, as the american CDC say condoms do not let the hiv through and virtually eliminate the risk.

While the FDA says, condoms often leak , "Leakage of HIV-sized particles through latex condoms was detectable (P less than 0.03) for as many as 29 of the 89 condoms tested.", and only reduce risk by a factor of 10 .

|CitationRef&TO=External|Link|URI&article-id=1447864&journal-id=258&rendering-type=normal&&

fda and cdc comparison

So, just wanted to know

Reply to
anthonybaker

The question of significance is the PORE structure of the latex, not the atomic spacings.

This pore structure is what leaks potential HIV infectous material.

Your link to the pubmedcentral.nih.gov site above didn't work for me.

The thinness of the material and other manufacturing considerations are what control most of this kind of defect structure.

However, I don't know how to better answer your question without having to do my own research into what is known about the pore structure(s) that can be developed in fabricated thin latex products.

Reply to
Jim

Leakage would almost certainly be due to defects (in manufacturing or introduced during use), so the basic structural info wouldn't really help.

bob

Reply to
Bob