Better tubing material for xylophones?

For seven years now I have been building xylophone coffee tables. I use a 1/4 inch latex tube(standard surgical) to rest the keys on as a
cushion. I can now tell that the tubing is hardening quicker than I would like.
Any thoughts on a replacement material. I think the tubing is about 60 durometers and the inside hole is 1/8". I pay about 60 cents a foot - buy thousands a year.
Thanks! Tor
torlissa wrote:

Cork.

Silicone tubing would be a good choice. Expensive perhaps, but has a very long expected service life.
RT
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RThomp7367) wrote in message

Are these xylophone coffe tables " playable " ? Can you actually use them as a musical instrument ? Tantalum would make a marvellous material for it's timbre. Tantalum crucibles ring with an incredibly clear tone when struck.
I don't have an accurate price for Ta tubing, but I would guess starting at $ 500 per kg or so. So it would be an instrument with very clear tones which no one could afford to buy :-)
Tim Worstall
Thanks for all the comments;
Does anyone know the hardness of these alternative tubes? It has to be quite soft, perhaps softer than 60 durometers.
thanks again.
tor