Calling Carbon Fibre Experts...

I'm just a software guy from Sydney (absolutely no idea about materials sorry)and am looking for some expert advice regarding a carbon fibre
bike frame. The downtube on the frame was smashed and the fibres broken. I read that basically trying to repair this would be useless, as the strength of carbon fibre is all about the continuity of the fibres and one can't just patch them up. Well, we found a place that said they could do it, and indeed they did something that looks like the tube was never broken (sorry but I don't know the exact process used). Since then, however, it seems like one has to work harder to generate the same speed. A professional cyclist we spoke to reckons that once carbon fibre is breached like this it would compromise the rider's ability to get full power through to the drive drain, because of unnoticeable flex at that point. I have no idea, so can anyone help??

Repair could be OK. Depends how they did it. Composite strength depends more on fiber orientation than length. They could have also added more fiber with resin needed to make patch. Ask how they did repair and what they think subsequent result should be.
GH - Sydney wrote:

Functional repair is easy if you know what you are doing. Getting it to look nice is more difficult, just paint it nicely black.
TLM