Electrolytes for pH buffers and Ionic strength control

I am going to be doing some isotherm experiments on activated carbon controlling pH and ionic strength. I know that my electrolytes will
compete with my anion for uptake, but I am trying to decide what type of electrolytes to use that will be the least competitive. I am probably going to use a monobasic or dibasic phosphate for the higher pH electrolytes, but I am concerned about the usual acids used, i.e. citric or oxalic acid. Does anyone have any experience with pH buffers and ionic strength electrolytes with activated carbon?
Thanks, Ellen.