how many ways to cut a material?

I'm thinking that there are three possible ways to cut any material...
1. oxidize it along the cut line. For example, burning through with
an oxy- acetylene torch. This is often called "burning" in the
metal trades.
2. tear it apart with a force that exceeds the tensile strength. I
don't know
the proper term for this process.
3. push through it with a force that exceeds the compressive
strength. I also
don't know the proper term for this process.
Am I correct?
what tools do what? For example, what exactly does a scissors do? Is
that different than what a knife does?
Reply to
Alan Horowitz
No oxidation in inert envirinments with ortch or laser
many materials can be melted or vaporized without oxidation
Reply to
Sam Wormley
4. Water jet cutting.
5. Sandblasting.
6. E-beam cutting.
7. EDM.
8. Chemical milling.
I'm sure I could think of others, if I bothered to spend another 30 seconds thinking about it.
Reply to
Mark Thorson
Also melt it and pour the results into little molds.
Bob Kolker
Reply to
Robert J. Kolker
-- Laser, plasma, etc cut. Using heat sums it up.
-- Not practical. Little comtrol over where it'd break unless part had a reduced section.
-- That's shearing as with a die and press. High velocity water is used to cuts some materials.
-- Shear, the same basic action for both.
Reply to
Jeff Finlayson
A lot of other methods have already been suggested. Another one that comes to mind: ultrasonic cutting.
Reply to
bob
Failure Modes: Gross yielding Buckling Creep Brittle fracture Fatigue, low cycle Fatigue, high cycle Contact fatigue Fretting Corrosion Stress-corrosion cracking Galvanic corrosion Hydrogen embrittlement Wear Thermal fatigue Corrosion fatigue
Reply to
Tom Walz
Shearing Bearing Compression Adiabatic Shear Melting Over-aging Thermal shock
Reply to
Mark Folsom
Those are all failure modes, not manufacturing processes.
Reply to
Jeff Finlayson
Dear Jeff Finlayson:
material...
Die stamping
Dropping a building
Injection molding
Jack hammer
Brinnelling to improve surface condition (but not for cutting in two) Sandblasting as a machining process
*Some* of them are used in manufacturing. Some of the others are used by artists to provide interesting surfaces.
David A. Smith
Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)
-- Of course they are, no duh. But failure modes aren't manufacturing processes.
Reply to
Jeff Finlayson