How many?

I have a personal rule that if I've had an exposed flame in the workshop (welding etc) I won't leave the workshop for half an hour after I've put it out and turned the gas off. This dates back many years when I was told by a fire officer that any fire will show itself by smoke, flame or smell within

20 minutes. Dunno if it's true, but it makes sense to me, so I do it.

Anyway, this often means I'm sat on the stool mooning calf-like at my Toy of the Moment and planning the next move, but sometimes I'm just generally communing with my hoard - sad old miser that I am. Last night, I idly wondered just how many engines I'd contrived to gather into one place in the last - what? - three years? - and did a reasonably accurate count up, counting only engines that actually go or which are so complete that it will not take more than a day's work to fire them up and I didn't begin to consider driven devices like generators, pumps, compressors, vacuum pumps et al.

Oh dear ............

What's an average number of engines to gather around you? Should I worry? Is Hazel right?

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I wouldn't worry, Kim, I think there's a formula based on the size of the available accomodation, and the size of the collector.

Basically, if you can squeeze past the collection and get to the bench without injury , you're within the normal parameters.

If, like me, you have to climb over engines to get to the bench, then professional psychological help is needed ;-)

Regards, Napoleon, oops, I mean Arthur G

Sign seen on roadworks in Ireland "Inane realignment - funded by the EU"

Reply to
Arthur G

"Arthur G" wrote (snip):-

professional psychological help is needed ;-)

You can find your bench? I'm envious ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

In a similar vein I'm currently building a storage shed/bunker at the bottom of the garden away from everything else to keep petrol, paraffin, diesel bottles of gas etc. in so that they aren't all in the workshop or engine sheds.

As for engines there's a permanent collection of about 20, a further fluid collection of between 5 and 10 on top of that, a couple still to fetch, the model engines on the mantelpiece.....

I think this Newsgroup could have a very interesting rally on our own with all the stuff we have between us!

Regards

Dan

And no, I can't get to my bench as there's a Crossley TSH in front of it ;-)

Reply to
Dan Howden

Several more than you have room for.

Not at all. A collection will expand to fill the space , and then some. Nature abhors a vacuum, and also an empty shed :-)

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

You've got room for a bench? Now there's a thing! :))

Reply to
Mark Howard

Do you insist on an integral number or do fractions count? i.e. "Entire" engines (like "Entire" horses?)

Jack in Oz

Reply to
Jack Watson

"Jack Watson" wrote

Well, I counted engines which have all their major components and don't require transplant surgery to make 'em go. However, one or two might need magnetos and a larger number fuel tanks,

-- Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

If you sit equidistant from them all, then you'll do nothing.....

When you have to pay for external storage, you are probably getting near to the point where you will 'have' to do something.... we reached that point a while ago, and began a reduction process which is slow but ongoing.

We may be moving the factory at some time, and if we can get a larger unit then the company stuff that we currently store can go, leaving a bit more room.

The biggest hoggers of space are the machines, not the engines.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen,

Tommorrow I shall go and visit my good friend Dan and relieve him of one of his engines, a Lister L, thats where the problem will begin because I know that it wont go in my garage workshop :-(( so other arrangements will apply, as to the bench syndrome I have solved that by placing it as near to the door of the garage as possible and also having it on wheels with the electric sockets etc on a flying lead so that if it is a nice day I can work outside. I dont know if anybody has noticed but if you place two engines in close proximity to each other they breed or so I tell my good lady :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Sooooo glad it's not just me that can't find his bench - you made me happy.

Can you suggest the name of a suitable therapist Arthur???

In message , Nick H writes

Reply to
john. ambler

"john. ambler" wrote >

Can you suggest the name of a suitable therapist Arthur???

I don't know his name, John, every time he calls I run away and hide :-)

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Answers in order Too many Yes Probably

John

Reply to
John Manders

Gentlemen, Just be thankfull that your engines are relatively small (Paul's collection excepted) Vehicles are much larger. Spare a thought for those poor souls who are devotees of lorries and busses.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I'd love a Scammell Super Contractor or a Thornycroft Mighty Antar outside....:-)) They really clear the way in traffic jams!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

We left our Scammell Super Constructor behind in the Isle Of Man (15 litre Albion engine) :-)

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Internal Fire Museum of Power is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK

Reply to
Paul Evans

Albion engine) :-)

Shame on you! :-))

I had a drive in a Mighty Antar some years ago when I first got my HGV licence. It was a pretty intimidating experience, but very worthwhile.

It was crude, almost to the point of hardship inside the cab but the mechanicals worked well enough, this one had a big R-R diesel IIRC.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Antar had a RR Meteorite. Most of the Super Constructor Scammells had supercharged RR 6 cylinder N series. The story we were told at Pickfords Birmingham was that they used to carry a large drum of engine oil in the cab of a Rolls powered Scammell with a tube going to the filler. Every 5 minutes they would turn the tap on for 30 secs to replace the oil the engine had just used/leaked/eaten.

Pickfords then specified the 900 series Albion for their Super Constructors, normally aspirated and a good solid lump.

Ours was 876 BGJ based at Brum. I had the cab completely rebuilt but the doors still needed doing along with the rear body - money pit. A lot nicer to drive than the earlier Scammells as they were fitted with a Self Changing Gears 8 speed box instead of the 6 speed Scammell gate change. Regret selling it but it was one of the things that had to go to fund the museum, along with fast cars, fast bikes and medium speed women.

Paul

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Internal Fire Museum of Power is a Not-for-Profit company registered in the UK

Reply to
Paul Evans

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON