material search

Do you want a composite pool cue?

Or do you want a "magical material" that is like wood, only much better? And then you will figure out how to make a pool cue out of it.

As you probably know, you can make a hollow metal tapered cylinder which is hollow enough to float. This is the design part of materials utilization.

Wood uses internal voids to create this low density and oriented fibers to create the high elastic modulus.

It is possible to make something approaching or exceeding the modulus you cite with a density not much larger than 1.0..

Presumably, somebody could figure out either:

1) how to add controlled voids of void containing fillers to get closer to what you want.

2) how to use shape, such as a tapered hollow cylinder, to achieve the desired structural response.

How much money do you have to achieve your goals?

Remember, the advanced composites took over most of the bamboo fly rod market, and never made a material (as opposed to a rod structure) that resembled bamboo in the slightest way.

I would learn this fly rod lesson quite well in making new generation pool cues.

jbuch

Puzzled that there appears to not be a synthetic material that can match the mechanical properties of maple with a density at or below maple. It must have a modulus of at least 1,800,000 psi, and s.g. of .7 or less...Is there such a thing?

--Steve Titus

Reply to
Platinum Billiards

Guitar or bass neck, right? :)

Vigier Guitars has used carbon composite beam to replace traditional truss rod.

The stiffness/density considerations are (usually) structure-dependent. Therefore it is often a good idea to consider hollow beams or structural foams instead of all-solid bulk. For example, some Kevlar 49 or 149 fibers used with 3M glass microsphere filled epoxy resin (maybe Epikote 246 + Epikure 6514, or SP Systems Prime 20, just proposing some low viscosity epoxy systems..) might get close to what you are after. You should do some density calculations.

If it is a musical instrument in question, one must also consider that just calculated stiffness/density ratio does not often enough characterize the harmonic response.

Samu

Reply to
Samu Aalto

Aaah, it's a cue in question! Sorry! Woe me, because english is not my native language.

Yours,

Samu

Reply to
Samu Aalto

Very interesting - thanks for this info. I will follow these leads.

Reply to
Platinum Billiards

Want to make a synthetic maple syrup? ;-)

TheYvid

Reply to
TheYvid