Measuring Tensile strength [How do you do it at home ?]

So I have an ingot of unknown metal, how would I measure the tensile, shear, stress and strain strengths ? [Using tools at home ]

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Thanks

steve mew

My first thought is, thats funny, but heres goes. Youre probably better off figuring out what your metal is approximately, and then looking up the properties. Mechanical testing, by a novice, with only one ingot, using a makeshift setup is going to give you junk for results, but you can always try. Tensile strength is not too challenging as long as you can prepare a decent specimen. At the very minimum some sort of hydraulic press, that you could rig to stretch a sample, with a pressure gauge would be essential and additionally the ability measure elongation would give you strain to failure & % elongation ( a simple micrometer/caliper would work). You would have to have the ability to attach the specimens in some kind of secure jaw and prepare a nice neck to make sure you sample breaks where you want. You will need a micrometer to measure the fracture surface area to determine your stress to failure (load / area) and then you are set. See what you can get with tensile strength, dont bother with the shear yet.

Here is an example of a typicaly tensile testing setup using sample dogbones.

ceraboy

Reply to
Neil Farbstein

It would be really difficult. You would have to make a homemade tensile tester with a pressure gauge. You could you a gear system attached to a screw bolt.

Reply to
Robert Smith