Profilometer

I am trying to measure the surface roughness of a transparent material, glass, using a profilometer. I am having problems due to the transparent
nature of glass. Does any one know of any way to make transparent materials more reflective so that I can measure the roughness?
Thank you
Robert

materials
Google Search: Metal Sputtering Services ca. 17,800 hits...
A list of contract metal sputtering service companies;
http://snf.stanford.edu/Process/Resources/MetalSputter.html
and Vacuum Coating services:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Business/Industrial_Goods_and_Services/Materials/Metals/Vacuum_Coating /
hope that helps
Regards, R. David Zopf
Robert Smith wrote:

Does it have to be reflective or merely non-transparent? A layer of soot from a candle flame would be easy to apply, and non-transparent, but not very reflective.
You can deposit a thin layer of silver from solution with Tollen's reagent. This is much simpler and cheaper than sputtering, unless you already have a sputtering apparatus.
http://www.chymist.com/silver%20flask.pdf
What kind of profilometer? A Dektak or Alphastep stylus profilometer or an AFM will have no trouble with a transparent substrate. Many surface roughness parameters can be measured -J

entr0pyf0e