Profilometer

I am trying to measure the surface roughness of a transparent material, glass, using a profilometer. I am having problems due to the transparent nature of glass. Does any one know of any way to make transparent materials more reflective so that I can measure the roughness?

Thank you

Robert

Reply to
Robert Smith

Google Search: Metal Sputtering Services ca. 17,800 hits...

A list of contract metal sputtering service companies;

and Vacuum Coating services:

hope that helps

Regards, R. David Zopf

Reply to
David Zopf

Does it have to be reflective or merely non-transparent? A layer of soot from a candle flame would be easy to apply, and non-transparent, but not very reflective.

You can deposit a thin layer of silver from solution with Tollen's reagent. This is much simpler and cheaper than sputtering, unless you already have a sputtering apparatus.

Mark Thorson

What kind of profilometer? A Dektak or Alphastep stylus profilometer or an AFM will have no trouble with a transparent substrate. Many surface roughness parameters can be measured

-J

entr0pyf0e

Reply to
Entropyfoe