How to measure electric field

Hi people:
I am interested in measuring electric field generated by household appliances. I know the magnetic field is easy to measure but I don't have
any idea how to measure electric field. I think I need a special type of probe. Can anyone point me to some good resources on the web?
Thanks,
Ben
Hi there:
Can anyone point me to any resources that can help me measure electric field? Thanks,
Ben
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/Sensors.shtml

Hi Ben.
Electric fields generated around household appliances are normally very weak. An exception is a CRT based TV that has such a strong field around it that you can easily get shocks by just tuching the screen.
There are tools that do mesure the electric field around a charged object. They are called: Electrometer or Electric field meter.
Most electrometers are based on a component called FET (Field effect transistor).
Here is a small charge detector project for you with plenty of information about how it works:
http://www.amasci.com/emotor/chargdet.html
There are also a lots of other interesting articles to read about electricity here:
http://amasci.com/ele-edu.html
cheers //iman