How to measure electric field

Hi people:
I am interested in measuring electric field generated by household
appliances. I know the magnetic field is easy to measure but I don't have
any idea how to measure electric field. I think I need a special type of
probe. Can anyone point me to some good resources on the web?
Thanks,
Ben
Reply to
Ben Fok
Hi there:
Can anyone point me to any resources that can help me measure electric field? Thanks,
Ben
Reply to
Ben Fok
Hi Ben.
Electric fields generated around household appliances are normally very weak. An exception is a CRT based TV that has such a strong field around it that you can easily get shocks by just tuching the screen.
There are tools that do mesure the electric field around a charged object. They are called: Electrometer or Electric field meter.
Most electrometers are based on a component called FET (Field effect transistor).
Here is a small charge detector project for you with plenty of information about how it works:

There are also a lots of other interesting articles to read about electricity here:

cheers //iman
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Fok" Newsgroups: alt.engineering.electrical Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 6:10 AM Subject: How to measure electric field
Reply to
Iman Habib