research on car hinges

Hi,
I'm doing a research on car hinges (door, hood and tail gate hinges). I've found that there were three different manufacturing processes to
built a hinge. Stamping (metal sheets), hot rolled profiling and forging. I found a few information calling different hinge manufacturers: stamped hinge are the least expensive. Profilled hinges are heavier, yet stronger, occupies less space (in a 3D space: the hinge itself is more voluminous) and a little more expensive and finally forged hinges are smaller, lighter and even stronger. I wanted to be sure of the info I had and if anybody could give some more informations on each technology and what could be the trade-off when having to choose between each one.
Thanks in advance to everybody!

I am certain you can find solid information about the three well-established technologies in a college or even local library. I suspect the Web has great and expansive descriptions of the processes as well.
I imagine any discussion of of the trade-offs of the methods would compare such issues as costs, efficiency in using the materials, energy requirements of the process, final product reliability, and the "quality" of the finished piece.
It sounds like you have a good research topic to work through.
Good luck!
HTH
-- JJW
Nouma wrote: