XP: Source for small Brass cabinet/box hinges

Posted to: uk.rec.waterways, uk.rec.models.engineering, uk.rec.engines.stationary

I'm trying to repair an old laboratory test instrument which is in a very nice fitted mahogany box. It's all there, but the lid to the box is from a different instrument serial number and one half of one of the hinges is missing plus there is a discrepancy in the fixing positions of the catches and hinges. The catches can be moved.

Problem is that the hinges are made from solid brass extrusion, while most modern stuff is rolled from sheet, so I am trying to find a replacement that will do the job.

The hinge is a butt type that can be lifted apart so the lid can be unhinged and removed for using the instrument.

If anyone has a local supplier of such things or an idea where to get them, I would like to know please.

Hinge size is 1-5/16" long, 7/8" wide opened out and the flat part is

3/32" thick. Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Peter, You could try rec.woodworking. They seem a friendly bunch.

John

Reply to
John Manders

If anyone has a local supplier of such things or an idea where to get

Hardly local, but a large selection of cabinet hardware of all kinds is available from:

and they will ship. As a bonus, the UKP is worth something on the order of 2.24 CDA today.

I'm not associated in any way with Lee Valley Tools, but have been a well satisifed customer for 25 years. Their catalogs are themselves an education in woodworking, and they will send them to you free of charge with an order if you request them.

Reply to
KJ Kroeker

Thanks for all the suggestions both on and off-list, much appreciated!

I have been in touch with a cabinet restorer who may be able to assist.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

What you need to ask for - from a decent architectural ironmongers etc

- is 'solid drawn brass butts'.

Whether that's a current size I've no idea. If you wish, I'll ask our lcal place next time I'm in Warrington.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

OOOO, they're lovely. Thing II (4 yr old boy child) and I visit often. I make it a point to buy something from them every catalogue season. It doesn't have to be much, and I do usually "need" it. That way, they keep sending you the catalogues for free. I've learned more than I'll ever have the tools to use!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gates

Screwfix ! Their small brass hinges are "solid drawn" like this, and very cheap. Lee Valley have lots of lovely hinges, but there's no need to go that far.

D18047 - 25mm long £0.49/pair £3.99 /10 pair D17911 - 40mm D18399 - 50mm D17735 - 60mm

0500 414141 to order or a catalogue. P&P is a fiver or so, or free on orders over £45.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Whilst looking for traditional case handles, I came across this website:

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Hi

Had a look at Google where I found

who sell solid drawn brass hinges but not to the exact size that you are looking for. Hope they can help you.

Regards

Reply to
clive