Ali Channel for ramps

Posted to uk.rec.engines.stationary and uk.rec.models.engineering

We are going to buy some heavy ali channel for ramps to go on the van and trailer, we are looking at the following standard extrusions:

5" wide X 2.5" high X 3/8" flange thickness X 1/4" base thickness at £24.40 per metre plus VAT

6" wide X 3" high X 3/8" flange thickness X 1/4" base thickness at £34.80 per metre plus VAT

Two questions:

Can anyone do it cheaper ? :-))

Does anyone else want some added to the eventual order for themselves?

We will want 2 X 2.5 metre lengths, it comes in 5 metre standard lengths.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Peter,

I bought a couple of aluminium scaffold boards from my local scrap dealer. They are a similar size but have a ribbed non-slip surface on one side (which probably adds to their longitudinal strength) and the sides have 'rolled' edge to them which also adds to their strength. 5 Metres cost me about £30 - which at the time I thought was expensive - but maybe not! I don't know what the new cost would be (knowing our local scrappie, they're probably less than £30 new! :) )

Just a thought.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard

It's a good thought, I have already tried out our local guy, but ali tends to be a fast-mover because of the margins on scrap.

Since posting the first prices I have improved on them by shopping around, and I can now get 4M of 6" X 3 X 1/4" X 3/8" for £68 plus VAT, cutting free if required.

Some stockists have 5M lengths while others have 4M.

Our original ramps were 2.1M long so we could drop to 2M with no real problem.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

About a degree and a half perhaps?! :)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome

I cannot help but pose a third question:

What load do you calculate these ramps will support?

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Artic trailers are sometimes made of ali channel. All four of my ramps are ex lorry chassis and cost about a tenner each IIRC. They must be easily 3 metres long and will take the weight of the Crossley 1075 as I roll it out of the garage and into the trailer, an exercise which utilises them as a bridge !

I know it's dangerous which is why the Crossley stays home most of the time ......

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

In article , Prepair Ltd writes

(Snip)

Peter, last time I was at O'Dells in Biggleswade (a few weeks back) they had quite a bit of that kind of stuff lying around. Have you had a rummage there lately?

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

With the timber central lining bolted in place they have to support 5cwt maximum with no support underneath, or with centrally placed support they should be able to take 15cwt over a 1metre unsupported span.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

I ain't getting any younger, Kim :-))

It will have to be ali for me as I already have enough back problems without adding to them!

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

I'd try a big mil-surplus place like Anchor at Ripley. They always seem to have pallet loads of PSP and its alloy equivalents kicking about.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My ex lorry chassis ramps are aluminium, too. You're younger than me, my boy ;op

Regards,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Ah.. that makes me feel better, being called a boy at 58yrs old!

Peter

Prepair Ltd