From another group, but interesting

This has come from another source, but the search engine can be changed for different newsgroups:

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Very interesting, Peter, as before.

I'm glad to see our neighbour newsgroups aren't alt.pervs.xxx or similar!

Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Hmm. Interesting, not sure I like so much this info being collected, what's it all used for?

BTW. It shows me as having posted to model engineering group, which I haven't. So it's not even accurate.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

- and I am frighteningly loquacious - even worse than Peter!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

"When three or more are involved, the culprit will frequently escape punishment"

Laws of Hammurabi, 1780BC

J K Siddorn

It looks as though it is a search engine being used to look at DejaVu or Google newsgroups and collating the information.

It's no more than anyone can already collect from Google...

Regarding a non-post, it might be worth thinking back abouit cross-posting..

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Not necessarily - it orders the names by consistent presence, rather than volume.

As to the crossposting, then I imagine that it really did occur. If I profile myself at Google I find all sorts of odd groups, but when I investigate it always turns out to be a follow-up to a broad cross-post.

It also lists one poster to uk.d-i-y who has a no-archive header on all his posts, so isn't Googleable. I believe it's actually hosted on an archive of M$oft's own.

-- Inbreeding - nature's way to ensure you always have enough fingers to count all your cousins.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

|This has come from another source, but the search engine can be |changed for different newsgroups: | |

This is nothing new. It was brought to the attention of the posters / lurkers of this newsgroup on 23/8/2003. Try googling with advanced search of:

Big brother Bill is watching

Reply to
see_reply_to_address

Unimportant bits snipped!

all your cousins.

With or without your permission, I'm going to start to use this!

I follow a couple of groups with high American participation where this will fit nicely.

Dan

Reply to
dgates-at-keller - no - space - engineering - dot - com

Haven't worked it out. I subscribe to about a dozen groups, none of which are picked up. Did still record the one visit I made to UK.Sailing a long time back when I was selling my Hornet .....

Listed me with 3 groups, but missed many that I more frequently post to than this site. It's not even a complete list for me on either Google or Yahoo. Anyone know what is the trigger -- does AdAware clip the wings of the bot or whatever?

Colin

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
No Name

Colin, it must be your "No-Name" moniker which is puzzling the bot.

Is there any way the IF news facility can give you a name?

I'm courting trouble now, but I never feel very trusting of posts which don't have the writer's name attached to them. Arthur Griffin is my name, I don't need to hide behind a silly name like Bamford Boyo, Heavy Petter, Lister Blister or something similar, whether Big Brother is watching or not.

It seems to me like going into a pub with a balaclava on, which in these post 9/11 days would bring the rozzers 'round pretty sharpish.

I would be interested to hear peoples' thoughts.

Regards, New Way Guy, erm damn, sorry Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

I'm told that this NG is quite unusual in having so many contributors who dare to use real names.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

We have always used our real names since day one, also PTFE, Roly, Kim, Martin P (apart from an anti-spam effort) etc., Paul Evans, in fact most of the regulars. My posts from the office are under the company name/email but still have my full name on them.

Never really saw any sense in not doing so, as many of our emails at home and at work are from overseas or business customers.

There are probably good reasons for a few of them, but if it works for us it should work for them as well...

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I daren't _not_ use it.

I have one main email address, and it already receives max_spam messages every day. It can't get any worse, but I couldn't face having another address that started getting spammed.

-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

This "no-name" thing is new for me, & not sure what has caused it! Many have been a recent comprehensive overhaul of Interet Options & dial-up properties...

Usually try to use something short,quick to type, easy to remember. Certainly has nothing to do with my records on the original subject, as the "no-name" moniker has only appeared in the last week.

Colin

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
No Name

I knew who you were Colin, but my first reaction when I saw the Noname was "another incognito poster, just what we need"

Being without two of our stalwarts because of shadowy figures doesn't make me look kindly on those who conceal their identities. This isn't 007 territory, we chat about obsolete engines. As far as I'm aware, apart from attracting the occasional sympathetic look from "normal" folk, there is no reason to conceal your interest in old engines.

So come on posters, take the masks off. You will find you're much more acceptable.

My 2p.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Here Here Arthur

Reply to
George Hendry

Agreed Arthur. Only one point springs to mind is the possibility of advertising our possessions to any low life who may want to deprive us of them. As someone pointed out, I have a reasonably unusual surname. With a little effort from reading my posts, it should be possible to find my address or get the list down to a few options. I'm sure you all follow my drift. For good or bad, most of our engines are of little financial value and are of limited interest. The contributors to a NG such as uk.diamond~traders may be more nervous. The NG uk.hot~totty is populated entirely by pseudonyms. Not that I know this from personal experience you understand.

John

Reply to
John Manders