Rubber Bands

What are they making the "rubber" bands out of nowadays. They don't seem
to last too long. I'm constantly replacing them. Every now and then,
when going through old storage boxes, I find items with rubber bands
around them that seem just as fresh as when new.
I have new rubber bands that I have just lying around. They seem to
disintegrate almost at will. What gives anyway?
Al
Reply to
Al
I second that question. -- Boris