Water is gritty.

In sci.physics, Autymn D. C.

wrote on 17 Jan 2006 17:17:00 -0800 :

I was going to make a joke about dropping a ton of solid water on one's foot but this is actually rather interesting. :-) One hopes for accurate measurements then a simulation of this strange water column in a computer, to further understanding.

It might be worth noting that 10^-23 liters of water would be about 335 molecules of the stuff (1 mole of water is

0.018 liter or 0.018 kg).
Reply to
The Ghost In The Machine

You think it has anything to do with the blocky probe? :D

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

Friend of mine, when he was a student, thought it would be fun to drop a water filled balloon from a tall building onto the parked cars below and watch the splash. It put a huge dent into the car roof it hit.

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

In sci.physics, Autymn D. C.

wrote on 18 Jan 2006 04:04:14 -0800 :

Not sure. A more accurate drawing would have shown the silicon atoms at the tip of the probe as well as the hydrogen and oxygen atoms of the water, plus the air molecules moving around.

In any event, the researchers were apparently focusing on the motion in this air ocean, and the forces of the water on probe and surface during said movement. Several variants are suggested:

[1] Vacuum versus air surrounding the probe-water-surface. [2] A thicker, flat probe, which might also be used for research regarding the Casimir effect. [3] Various other fluids such as ethyl alcohol, methane (at low temperature), and helium (at *very* low temperature).

Of course this is off the top of my head; I'm no expert. :-)

Reply to
The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.physics, Dirk Bruere at Neopax

wrote >

An interesting if somewhat expensive illustration of the danger of falling objects. :-) I've occasionally wondered as to the velocity (and size) of raindrops and the kinetic energy contained therein.

I'd hate to have to worry about dodging grapefruit-sized hail... fortunately, that's very rare, even in areas prone to hail. :-)

Reply to
The Ghost In The Machine

Pray to the raingods for some of these on your foes: .

-Aut

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

deals with properties molecular H2O (nano) columns.

[Ghost]
[Dirk]
[Ghost]
[hanson] The virtual incompressibility of water is indeed making this fantastic liquid indeed gritty... gritty like emery paper and sand blasting... High pressure water jets are used to cut & machine all kinds of materials, high strength steel included, with efficiency and to great precision.
not to speak of the hydraulic mining that was so efficient that it got outlawed already in the late (1880?). This could not have happened if water would not be "gritty" and compressible So, next time, be careful when you get an enema... Better just ask for a colonal irrigation instead... ahahahahaha... ahaha... ahahanson

PS: I am sure that the relativists have an Einsteinan explanation why water has these properties and that the manufacturers of these machines could not have developed them without using relativity in the design and manufacture of these tools. So, let's hear it, gamma and all.... I am also sure that you will be paid a fat buck if you come up with an Einstein story that promotes and sells these machines... just like in the GPS, where they have done that trick for their marketing departments very successfully. Get at it with your usual rela fanaticism... make some real rela$$$...

Reply to
hanson

hanson, you illiterate, they need abrasive for metal. Others made the same mistake, who couldn't even read their own references: .

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

the elderly Dyslexia aka "Autymn D. C." nagged and nitpicked with extraordinary care and seasoned intent.... about nothing in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... to hanson who wrote in

> High pressure water jets are used to cut & machine

[Dyslexia]
.
[hanson] ahahaha... yeah, yeah, just like 0.999999... is not 1.

I appreciate your perhaps well meant efforts, but .... thanks for the laughs and "Don't call us. We'll call you"... ahaha.... ahahanson

Reply to
hanson

.

The water jet thing :) I wonder if that moron understands the internal diameter of the nozzle is typically 0.010" when new and how often they wear out.

Mind you, I woudn't use a water jet on metal when a good industrial laser will do.

Hexenmeister.

Reply to
Hexenmeister

"Abrasive jets" cut steel.

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

ahahaha... AHAHAHAHA.... hahahaha.... PMS and Dyslexia?... ahahaha...

Reply to
hanson

I agree. I've used water jet cutters, and spent several years programming two-axis laser motions. The lasers are considerably less risky.

-Mark Martin

Reply to
Mark Martin

from you?