What P stand for?

Often, the letter P is used to designate force. I wonder what P is abbreviated from.
Thank you.

skailup wrote:

Phorce.
You're welqome. :-)
skailup wrote:

Push....
You will also find that P stands for momentum too. P=MV.
Jim

Keepsake gift for young girls.

Associated with an arrow on a diagram it probably means either "Push here" or "Pull here". Or maybe "Prod here" or "Poke this bit", or for dynamic loads "POW!".
pounds
phorce
Dr. K

Poundal An antique Imperial unit no longer used in England, but probably used by Lockheed (and other US) Engineers when doing orbit calculations.
If my recollection serves me well, a force of one poundal will give a mass of 1 pound an acceleration of 1 ft per second squared.
skailup wrote:

The word "pound" itself comes from the Latin pendere, to weigh.
So, perhaps P comes from pendere as weight. Just to propogate this on to examine all potential principles (there are 3 "P" words in this sentence).
I seem to remember that the symbol P tended to be associated with weight. F for force was for animals and machines pushing in directions often other than the local direction of gravity forces.
mullens wrote:

Keepsake gift for young girls.
P is often used for pressure as well. A whole different meaning that. This gave me great difficulty in my thesis, because I was using P for porosity, then had to find another letter for atmospheric pressure.
Brendan Hall