What P stand for?

Often, the letter P is used to designate force. I wonder what P is abbreviated from.

Thank you.

Reply to
skailup

Phorce.

You're welqome. :-)

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Push....

You will also find that P stands for momentum too. P=MV.

Jim

Reply to
jbuch

Associated with an arrow on a diagram it probably means either "Push here" or "Pull here". Or maybe "Prod here" or "Poke this bit", or for dynamic loads "POW!".

Steve Roberts

pounds

phorce

Dr. K

Reply to
William Kaukler

Poundal An antique Imperial unit no longer used in England, but probably used by Lockheed (and other US) Engineers when doing orbit calculations.

If my recollecti>

Reply to
mullens

The word "pound" itself comes from the Latin pendere, to weigh.

So, perhaps P comes from pendere as weight. Just to propogate this on to examine all potential principles (there are 3 "P" words in this sentence).

I seem to remember that the symbol P tended to be associated with weight. F for force was for animals and machines pushing in directions often other than the local direction of gravity forces.

mullens wrote:

Reply to
jbuch

P is often used for pressure as well. A whole different meaning that. This gave me great difficulty in my thesis, because I was using P for porosity, then had to find another letter for atmospheric pressure.

Brendan Hall

Reply to
Brendan Hall