Latest threads in ⚗ Material Sciences show only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

DMA question/ have you ever seen that?!?!
Dear all, I conducted a DMA run on a polymer and the storage modulus (E') showed a sharp increase right before the Tg of the sample then it declined to give after the crystallization temperature a...
12
12

weakly conducting materials?
In connection with a prototype design I'm developing for a meteorological measurement device, I'm looking for a readily available material with the following physical properties: 1) Resistive, but not...

How to selectively dissolve MgO
Hello all, I have some metallic particle (Fe) deposited on MgO substrate. Now I want to remove the thick MgO substrate by selectively dissolving, which means the metallic particle as reactive as Fe...
1
1

"memory" effects in a spinning rotor
symmetric harnessed gyroscope accelerated to a given spinning frequency takes different time periods to stop, depending on the direction of previous spins. For repeated alternating, anticlockwise and...
7
7

Dispersion Al2O3 Nanoparticles
Hi, Someone knows any method to disperse Al2O3 nanoparticles (or nanotubes) in polymeric matriz? And which is the apropriated techniques to assesment this dispersion? EDS? Thanks
4
4

"Liquid metal" castable alloy.
I am wondering if anyone knows of any *real* qualitative aor quantitative characteristics for the range of materials? I am having trouble finding any independant opinions or credible laboritory tests....
4
4

Pressure/ friction welding of two metals
I am working on some soft metal thin film and wire, i.e. gold wire bonding to gold thin film. We all know that when two soft metals put together, they may easily "bonded" to each other by simply...

Crystallography Open Database update
The COD just attained 40.000 entries this month (CIFs) growth continues by 3000 new entries per month, thanks to 30 volunteers helping since the petition for open data in crystallography last year. It...

stress-strain
In doing a simple tensile test on a metal-polymer sandwich material, the stress-strain curve appears to have 2 elastic regions. i.e. the curve goes like this: i) a very steep straight line (elastic...

turbo pump rebuild
Hi All, Has anybody had experience with the various turbo pump rebuild services that are out there? We're looking at it right now for a small Varian pump. I've looked at about 10 suppliers so far, but...

how to increase hardness
if we have CAST IRON sample of BHN 150 , how do we decide amount of carbon that should be added to it to make the BHN of 190
5
5

Space Shuttle Heat Shield - What is its characteristic?
Dear Folks, I am wondering what are characteristic of heat shield tiles of the shuttle would be. First it needs to have a high heat insulation as well as high heat dissipation. I guess it must be...
2
2

Fusing plastic to metal
Hi guys: I have an application where I am gluing thick sheets of conductive UHMW plastic to a sheet of stainless steel. There must be complete electrical contact over the entire interface. I use a...
1
1

Over Moulding Delrin Rubber
I need to over mould Dupont Delrin with any type of rubber. Is it possible?

soy oil
please tell me the method for the curing of soy oil...
3
3