About the concept of NDI, NSHR, NTENS

Hi, I am new to abaqus/umat, and there are some problems about the meaning of NDI, NSHR, NTENS,DDSDDE. I found below in the abaqus online document. NDI is Number of direct components NSHR is Number of shear components and NDI+NSHR=NTENS

my questions are as list below:

1) are NDI, NSHR numbers of stress and strain components? or only refers the number of stress components? 2) what is NDI,NSHR in plane stress? is it NDI=2, NSHR=1? and direct stress components are sigma_11, sigma_22 shear components is sigma_12? 3) what is NDI, NSHR in plane strain and axi-symmetric? because sigma_33 is not equal to zero, is NDI=3? 4) is the length "m" of DDSDDE(m,m) is equal to NDI+NSHR? if not, how to determin "m"?

Thank you in advance!

Shawn

2006.6.19
Reply to