Blow Blowdown Vessel Sizing

Boiler Blowdown Vessel Size Conundrums:

Does anyone have any hard and fast rules on boiler blowdown vessel sizing ? We manufacture a range of Blowdown receivers and supply then to a broad spectrum of companies. Many use their own rule of thumb methods for sizing and some more technical - we ourselves aim within the guidelines of publications like PM60. HSE publication PM60 is mostly re-produced here and you will see it leaves plenty to the imagination in reality:

Does anyone employ another method (without 6 pages of thermodynamics calculations) that they find reliable ? Many of our smaller clients and operators of steam plant seem divided over the 'best way' - bearing in mind the larger the vessel is the more it will cost, so if they don't offer like for like they could be priced out of the job.

Answers on a Postcard ?

Abbott & Co.(Newark) Ltd Newark Boiler Works Northern Rd Newark Notts. NG24 2EJ Tel: 01636 704208 Fax 01636 705742

Pressure Vessel Manufacturer