Chemically Resistant Clear Guarding

I am looking to source a material to guard machinery that is resistant to chemical cleaning though remains fully tansparent, toughened glass can not be considered due to the nature of the guarding and a degree of flexibility required.

The cleaning chemical is Sericol & also IPA.

Any thoughts??

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Dear Ben:

If you don't get any action here, better ask on sci.chem.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Xylex is very chemical resistant, and is tougher than polycarbonate (lexan). It resists gasoline, alcohol, bleach, and many hospital cleaning agents.

Reply to
ms

messagenews:4v_%h.227221$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.phx...

Thanks for the advice, I will look to source a sample

Reply to
Ben

Can the guard be glass attached to opaque-but-flexible elements? Is there any flexibility in the design, so that less exotic materials can be used...

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Sounds like a waster of a good beer.

Reply to
Ed Ruf

Not familiar with Sericol & haven't tried alcohol, but I did make a wrap round windshield for a horse trailer recently, that used the thickest transparent Vinyl sheet I could find. This chart... ...suggests that any of the alcohols at less than 90 F are OK with it.

Given that a test sample holds up to the cleaners, a triple sheet of this stuff might prove suitable for the purpose. It does have the virtue of cheapness.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Xylex is from GE. Should be fairly easy to get from GE directly or a distributor.

ms

Dearm ms:

Yes, and the OP said he was going to source a sample. See above.

If it doesn't work out, does he have any options?

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)