rupture disk diameter vs pressure

A while back I asked about using some foil as a rupture disk valve in a small air cannon I am making. I have done some testing with a 1" pipe union that went very well. I am probably going to end up using 1 1/2" or 2" diameter union on the air cannon and was wondering how that would effect the pressure at which the foil breaks. I am guessing that since doubling the diameter will increase the surface area by a factor of 4, that the pressure required to break the foil will be 1/4 or less? I was also wondering if any one knows how the thickness of the foil will effect the pressure. Will doubling the thickness of the foil simply double the pressure at which it will burst? From my tests, using 2 layers of foil required pretty close to double the pressure.

Reply to
Chris W

Hi Chris,

a quick check using a beam approximation showed your assumptions as OK

Regards

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott