Electrical conduction through a rotating element

Does anyone have any successful examples of passing an electrical
signal from a rotating shaft to an outer housing?
In my application the compnents are in abrasive fluid flowing up to
50ft/sec, at pressures up to 25,000psi and temperatures up to 300 deg
F. The rotary part is also rotating eccentrically. I have tried to
use a bearing as a slip ring but I get intermittent contact.
Any suggestions appreciated
Reply to
Jim
Dear Jim:
A lot of patents on this, but perhaps not through slurry.
Wireless transmission comes to mind. Presumably the slurry would make short work of ultrasonics, otherwise it would seem that one could broadcast the signal through the slurry.
David A. Smith
Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)
Find a common axis of rotation. Use a moving to fixed loop transformer. You need to modulate the signal appropriately. This never leaks. Ever.
Brian W
Reply to
Brian Whatcott
Good suggestion Brian. Jim, a video head from an old VCR is a good example to look at - without the slurry, temp, pressure etc. rob
Reply to
Rob
look at how a generator or any electrical motor works. There is a rotor and a stator, the rotor is charged (or charging), and so needs to pass current to the body of the motor, which does not roll obviously! You will notice small "broom" on the rotor shaft. You can also look at an alternator from any car engine.
Reply to
Mathieu Fregeau

Site Timeline