ROTATING SHAFT ENGAGE / DISENGAGE

Does anyone know of a standard coupling which allows a rotating shaft, after halting, to disengage ( one side is retracted w/ linear actuator
1/4" to 1/2" ) as the other side is moved +/- 12" , as another process takes place then returns to orig location, retracted side returns to re-engage , the coupling is self aligned, and the shaft resumes rotation. A jaw coupling? I'm new at this. Any info will help. thanks
Add pictures here
✖
You are describing the standard behaviour of a multi-spindle CNC-controlled lathe, with two headstocks, each headstock with pneumatically-controlled chucks.
Put £100,000 in envelope A and one could be yours.

Add pictures here
✖

Gee, that sounds easy enough. I hope they offer a lay-away plan.
Add pictures here
✖

I can see it now, my old juke box platter going up and down , then it ingages and starts spinning.
The question is, how much torque is needed.
greg

Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 25, 1:01 pm, snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:

..
s- > >Hide quoted text -

I don't have the calculations but it's a 35 lb cart, 4 wheel drive w/ 4" dia wheels at 0.75 ft/sec on max. 6% slope. 2 rear wheels drive for 12" while 2 front wheels disengage ( temp , non-driven supports decend ) to move past objects , then re-engage with 4 wheel drive for norm running.
Add pictures here
✖
    --Made something like this many moons ago. The secret to alignment is to make a 'ball and-multiple-socket' arrangement so that misalignments slide down the slope of contact of mating male and female hemispheres until they're tight at the bottom. Does that make sense?
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...

I think it does. Sounds like something that needs to be coustom made
in machine shop but doable. If I understand you, It would be perhaps
✖
    --Yeah, you've got it. Works better if you can keep the parts on a common shaft to increase alignment potential. Did this when the company I worked for at the time made a thingy to turn a multiple-start thread on a part.