FEM/ FEA software?

Hi all!

I'm looking for a short overview of finite elements analysis software. Which are the big names? And which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

ruth

Reply to
Ruth Vandoren

  • MSC/Nastran - General purpose. Good linear analysis package for small to large models. Nonlinear capability is just OK. (other Nastran versions are similar, NE/Nastran for example)
  • Abaqus - General purpose. Similar to Nastran, but better nonlinear analysis. (not enough experience with this to say much else)

Here some others that I know of:

  • Ansys (general purpose SW somewhat similar to Abaqus)
  • MARC (nonlinear SW)
  • LS Dyna (nonlinear SW)
  • Algor (general purpose SW)
  • STAAD (general purpose SW)

In general I'd recommend Nastran, but it is pricey. Really depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend on it.

Jeff F.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

I recommend NEiNastran (also known as NE/Nastran). I have used it for

5 years now and love it. You can get a free evaluation and test out their support and the product which is the best way to find the right product.

Jason

Ruth Vandoren wrote:

software.

Reply to
6dof

Also, the cost of NEiNastran is about 1/3 of what MSC charges and you get a better product. Nastran is the FEA solver of choice for Aerospace and Automotive industries but is also used in Marine and Medical applications.

Reply to
6dof

software.

The 'big names' are NASTRAN (with different flavours), ANSYS and ABAQUS. NASTRAN is a quasi standard in automotive and aerospace, ABAQUS is well known for non-linear analysis.

But there are others, of course, from which you might get a better cost/performance ratio. Have a look on PERMAS at

Yes, I'm a little biased ;-)

Regards, Rainer

Reply to
Rainer

Hi,

i know NASTRAN, ANSYS, COSMOS, ABAQUS and PERMAS for commercial use.

Best regards Kim

Reply to
Kim Kulling