Folded/Convoluted High HX Area Stamped Surface

Is there any common everyday thin metal waffle stamped item that has a surface area about an order of magnitude more than the spanned area? It could be any metal at least as rigid as aluminum.

At first it looked like an easy search but now it looks like the only way to get it is to machine a die.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

I'm probably way off, but... What about one of those onion choppers? The kind that you hold over an onion and pound the hell out of. Or any kind of vegetable/potato slicer/dicer thing as you might see on late night television.

-Steve

Reply to
Anonymous

Not waffle: but aluminum gills on refrigeration pipe have immense surface area for a modest plan view size.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

A lot of heat transfer surfaces use fins but fins decrease in temperature toward the fin tip.

A thin convoluted surface would be much better.

On the bottom of a drink can it would chill the liquid much faster.

Ideally it should look like the peaks and valleys on those electron density charts in quantum mechanics.

At first I thought I'd see similar items everywhere but no such luck.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Is that the ribbon or confetti fin material on ac or heat pump evaporators and condensers?

A convoluted area would be better than fins as the temp. drops off toward the tip of a fin.

I also need a large surface area on both sides as there won't be any condensation or liquid HX coefficients.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill