force required to penetrate through a metal diaphragm More options

hello i am doing a project for school where we are going to burst or at least add stress concentrations an aluminum diaphragm with a cutting device of some sorts. i'm kind of lost looking for information on this subject and was wondering if anyone knew any textbooks or ways of modeling this in Pro/E or Abaqus.

sorry for posting this is multiple groups...

thanks

-aaron ward

Reply to
aaronjosephward

This is not as helpful as you would want, I don't suppose. But let me chew the cud a little, at least.

Let's visualize a slow motion shot of a triangular blade tip on a hunting arrow, just meeting a thin sheet of aluminum foil stretched over a sewing frame. A sharp edge depresses the diaphragm, and at some point the surface shears along the knife edge.

If the collision is slow, the diaphragm might stretch like a sheet of rubber, so the diaphragm is in tension before shearing at the blade. But if the contact is fast, the diaphragm might be stationary, supported by the air mass behind it, so the arrow force is the principal shearing force.

You can work out a shearing force I expect.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Dear Aaron,

There are two applications where this problem arises:

  1. Rupture disks, and 2. Shock tubes.

Perhaps books or articles on these topics will contain the answer you seek.

Olin Perry Norton

Reply to
Olin Perry Norton

haha actually the project i am doing is for a rupture disk in a shock tube @ 5000psi

i've found an example in abaqus but i have no idea how to use the program. oh well, time to start learning.

thanks for the advice guys

Reply to
aaronjosephward

I thought you might enjoy this note with an X-scored burst disk set to blow at 10000psi+ for a space cannon on the backlot at Lawrence Livermore. Vintage 1993.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

On Mar 20, 8:51 pm, Brian Whatcott wrote: ...

Brian,

That was a fun walk through technology prompted by the link. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike H