friction support solution

I am trying to mount a box 12x13x21 ; 40lbs from the ceiling. Additionally, I need to be able to tilt the box +/-40 such that the box stays at the given angle.

Unfortunately, my ideas do not seem to work for such a load. I was thinking of a ball joint support or use one of those plasma TV mounts, but the friction would not be enough to hold the box in place when angled.

Would anyone give me a hint as to what will work.

Thanks

Reply to
Igor

Here's one approach.

Visualize a toy gyroscope on three gimbal rings. If you care to place the wheel at any angle, it will stay there. Generalizing this idea:

1) if you can fabricate three "gimbals" that each pivot through the center of gravity of the box (and if the contents won't shift) then the box will stay put at any angle . Refining this generalization: 2) Assume you only need to rotate the box about one axis, rather than three, then you need only one gimbal ring, pivoting though the CofG.

More refining:

3) Given the one axis of rotation, instead of TWO pivots (say front and back), you can use a single meaty cantilevered "gimbal" fixed to say the back, arranged to pivot through the center of gravity as before. A little friction in the pivot will hold the box where placed - on one axis anyway.....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK.

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Omni-Mount

I used some Omnimunts WA 60 a few years ago to mount some 12 x 12 x18 speakers.

I'm not sure how much they weighed but I found the WA 60's on ebay cheap, so I used them

They work on "friction" (kinda), the ball is plastic & the ball gripper is aluminum with little bumps on it.

I find the Omnimount web site difficult to navigate

the parts you want are either the WA or WB series in the "commercial products"

but here a link to a re-seller

WA 60

WA 30

here's one on ebay

search was omnimount 60

the parts that you need are the gripper & the ball; you can adapt to the ball as needed with threaded rod

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Igor-

I composed a lengthy reply but some how google "lost" it :(

Omnimount

take a look at

Audi mounts CA & also WA, WB, WBX

their website isn't the greatest; some items don't have pictures & they've got broken links

but their products are good, I've used them

The basic concept is a plastic ball is a dimpled aluminum gripper / clamp jaw.

you get then them for less on ebay

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207