glycol/water mixture and point-of-use water heaters

I want to use a point-of-use (tankless) water heater to heat a Glycol/Water mixture at a starting temp of -10 deg C. Is there any reason this will not work? Could the low temperatures or glycol solution damage the heater?

Thanks, T

Reply to
T-Money

Dear T-Money:

These units are designed to have flow through them, and to have this flow at some pressure (like 30 psig or 2 barg). You could be in trouble if both of these are not present.

Not too likely. Make sure your grounding is good. Make sure the works don't have a lot of condensed moisture on them.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Such low temps might cause a lot of condensation on the inside of the unit. Heat exchanger. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Might be with such low temps, the flue gasses might not be hot enough to vent?

Have you contacted the company and ask? Their engineers know their product better than we do.

What's the application? Driveway melter?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That'd be a snow melt system, hackboi!

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

I haven't contacted the companies. I was looking at the very smallest units (~1500W) and they all seemed to be made in Europe. Ideally I would like a 1kW heater, but I haven't found any that small. Any suggestions on companies to look into?

I'm not trying to melt any driveways, I think that may take a much higher temperature working fluid ;o)

Its main purpose will be to test the capacity of a small chiller. The chiller is rated down to 0 deg C but nothing below that. I am going to use the chiller to make a small ice sheet, so I need to know its capacity at temperatures below 0 C.

The idea is to run fluid from the chiller thru the heater and right back to the chiller and see how much the chiller can handle. I just d>These units are designed to have flow through them, and to have this

the chiller pump operates at 5.5 psi, is that enough?

Thanks for the help! T

Reply to
T-Money