injection molding skills transferrable to defense industry type work?

HI,

I have been out of school for almost 3 years. I graduated in Manufacturing Engineering then took a job at BAE Systems in IT in hopes that I could pull a clearance and get into some sort of entry level engineering work.

However, things have not worked out. I have been looking for work for almost the duration of the time I have been here (in Hawaii) and I have now found a Japanese bilingual opportunity in Ohio working with injection molding machines for a small company as a sales engineer (primarily doing repairs and also minimal sales). Ultimately I want to get back into defense engineering work though.

Is this a good way to go in the mean time to acquire some ME experience and figure out what emphasis I would like to study when I get my MS degree, or is it a detour from which there is no return?

Reply to
Kimo

With literally thousands of senior engineers slated to retire from aerospace jobs in the next several years, getting back in will not be a problem, especially in Ohio if that's where you want to stay.

Being willing to relocate is a guarantee of a job.

Reply to
Harry Andreas

You seem to be interested in manufacturing ... why go through the pain of constraining your options so severely. If you restrict ourself to defense industry work you restrict your options for growth. Why not simply search for work of interest to you in the area you wish to live?

Defense work while interesting is not an end all be all. By way of reference I've worked in several companies from small 40-50 person packaging machinery to multi national companies in refrigeration, food processing, and pumps & piping. I have yet to be bored. A friend of mine recently went to work at a company in the packaging industry, and part of me is jealous. I had the greatest fun (as a designer) at that time in my life.

Explore your options. Odds are that if you get a job next month you won't have the same job in 5-years. Few new grads do.

Reply to
Anthony Garcia