PE exam calculator

For those who have taken the exam after April 2004. What calculator would you reccomend. I used a TI-89 all through undergrad on the FE, and since, but apperntly that is no longer allowed.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Big Mike

I took the exam in Oct 2003 with my TI 89. I really did not need the extra functions the calcuator had. Since you are familar with the TI, I would stick with the TI and use one with the scientific and trig. functions. The problem with the TI 89, is you can save text into the calcuator. Also the ones with IR capability are illegal. What you really need is a good night sleep, a pad for the chair, your most used reference books, a calcuator you don't need to re-learn, and a straight edge.

Reply to
PaulRoybal

Really all you need is a good scientific calculator you are comfortable with. Programmable is nice but not essential. When I took my test I was allowed to use my HP48GX.

HOWEVER I will say that as far as programs went I used an interpolation program and I used some programmed functions for financial calculations. That is it.

Reply to
Anthony Garcia

From the NCEES FAQ:

  1. What calculators may I bring in? Is there an "approved list"? Please check with your licensing board, as some states will provide their own "approved" lists.

There is no NCEES-approved list, but here are a few calculators we know are acceptable. Please keep in mind that this list is not all-inclusive.

Casio: ? FX-115 MS PLUS ? FX-250HC

Hewlett Packard: ? HP-9 series (this includes the HP-9g and HP-9s) ? HP-30S ? HP-32S and 32S II ? HP-33s

Sharp: ? EL-506 V series ? EL-520 V series

Texas Instruments: ? TI-30 series (this includes the TI-30Xa, TI-30X IIB, TI-30X IIS, TI-34 II, and TI-36X Solar) ? TI-81

  1. What calculators may I NOT bring in? Is there a "prohibited list"? Calculators with communication or text-editing capabilities will be banned from all NCEES exam sites. These include, but are not limited to, the following calculators:

Casio: ? CFX9850 series ? FX 7400 series ? FX-9750 series ? FX 2.0 ? Class Pad 300

Hewlett Packard: ? HP 39 series ? HP 41 series ? HP 42S ? HP 48 series ? HP 49 series

Texas Instruments: ? TI-82 ? TI-83, TI-83 Plus and TI-83 Plus Silver Edition ? TI-84 Plus, TI-84 Plus Silver Edition ? TI-85 ? TI-86 ? TI-89 ? TI-92 ? TI Voyage 200

Please keep in mind that this list is NOT all-inclusive. If your calculator has the ability to store a string of text and communicate it in any way, it will not be permitted.

Reply to
Eric