Photographing flow

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone may be able to help me. I am wanting to photograph the airflow over a turbine blade being tested in a wind tunnel, via the attachment of small cotton threads to its surface. The only way to isolate the blade is to use a stroboscope and I would like to then take a photo of this, so I have a record of the direction the cotton threads are being blown in.

I tried today without the strobe, and just using my flash gun. It wasn't too bad, but a little blurred still from the slow shutter speed. I've tried also using the bulb setting and letting the strobe pulse a few times hoping there would be enough light, but this wasn't very successful either.

If anyway has ever photographed this sort of thing and has some clues on what I should do, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
BuzzyBee

Use a floodlight to make the lighting very intense. Strobe the camera, and let it autoadjust to the available lighting. Remember that at higher speeds, the mass of a cotton thread will allow it to define a path other than what the air is moving in. You might want to consider a smoke streamer instead...

Google has a lot of really good hints: how to "high speed photography" how to "synchronous photography"

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc