Re: Pipe connection

1stly do you have valves in your circuit?? youu can close them and work then re-open them . obviously you would have thought of that.

if you can use a clamp saddle on the pipe (usually for steep pipes) , use a piece of polypipe, connect the other smaller pipe to the polypipe then just add it to the circuit using simple connections (no glueing required) . but this seems to be some kind of unprofessional work. so don't let your consultant see this ...

otherwise i don't see much alternatives to draining the line. cut, braze and re-open the line...

can anyone else enlighten us?

-- Hasta Luego

Irshaad (Faster than Bruce Lee)

remove the X to reply snipped-for-privacy@softhome.net

I have a project under construction. We need to connect a 1-1/4" > copper pipe to an existing 4" copper pipe. The contractor is asking > for an excessive extra to install a 4x4x1-1/4 soldered tee. > > Are there ways to tap a larger copper pipe without draining the system > and putting in a reducing tee? I know there are ways to hot tap steel > pipe but I need some advice on copper pipe. > > Thanks in advance for any practical advice. > > Tom Mull
Reply to
Irshaad

Check with your local water company. We recently had a new 8" water line installed on our street by the water company. This was a new line (located in the street) replacing an existing one (located on home owners property). We had water from the old line while they were putting in the 8" line.

Once installed, a crew of water company workers dug up the line at each home to connect the home to the new line. While the line was under full pressure, they tapped into it to connect each home. I don't think they spilled more than a pint of water for each tap in. In other words, devices exist to tap an existing pressurized line and are used by the water company. Jim Y

Reply to
Jim Y

Known as trepanning, I believe.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I am aware of the methods for hot tapping steel pipes and ductile iron pipes. The issue is are these methods suitable for a softer metal like copper. The contractor wants $1500 to make the connection. I think this is excesseive and I am looking for industry accepeted alternatives to installing a 4x4 copper tee. Thnaks.

Tom Mull

Reply to
Tom Mull

Reply to