Re: Simple Q about strain!

Positive strain = tensile elongation

> Negative strain = compressional contraction

In the Civil Eng world, the convention is opposite:

+strain = compression

-strain = tension

Lance A displaced ME working in a CE Lab.

Reply to
Lance Hill

How about this:)

In the Civil Eng university lab where I work, the convention is opposite. Except when Dan comes by for a visit, in which case it's undefined, or when Lance is talking to undergraduate CE's and can't help himself and tells them tension is positive.

Lance

*****
Reply to
Lance Hill

I know this definition.I think, you didn't give my question. Please let me know about the signe of strain in two sides of beam in one position. In the other words the signe of strain in the one side of beam is simillar to the other side and/or not.

Reply to
S. hashem Aref

1-1 position??

The force seems to ne normal to the plate. The forces is either a point force or a distrubuted one. This is either a plate or beam bending problem. The sign of the strain will be difference for the top and bottom faces. Consult a mechanics of materials book for explaination.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson