Software for Roark?

Hello All,

We're in the process of migrating our mainframe engineering software to the PC. We've run across some old, rarely used programs that do calculations of stress according to Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain. It's probably cheaper to buy software for these calculations than move these programs.

Can anyone recommend software for the Roark calculations? One of our programs handles the stresses and deflection for a flat circular plate (cases 14, 18, 20, 22, 59 and 60 of Chapter 10). The other handles circular ring stress and deflection (cases 2, 6, 7, and 8 of Chapter

8).

I see that UTS has a package, but I'm not keen on the price or TK Solver.

Thanks in advance for the help, Robin Olson

Reply to
Robin

I can't recommend any replacement, but considering you can many options for compilling straight source code for free, assuming no real gui porting issues, why not try that? What language were they written in?

Even then the full Lahey fortran compiler express package is only $250. ________________________________________________________ Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ( snipped-for-privacy@EdwardG.Ruf.com)

Ed Ruf

We have Roark's formulas on MathCAD files at work. They must have come from the Roark's formulas people, but not sure.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

I use the UTS package for TKSolver. Nice package and works well. Even better with the book alongside. TKSolver can be integrated with Excel so Excel diehards like me are not lost. I agree the price is a little steep.

Reply to
WP

MathCAD sells an add-on library of worksheets for Roark's in a bundle with a couple of other mechanical engineering library collections. This add-on's cost is around $250. The latest version of the MathCAD software package runs around $1K.

See

Good Luck.

JD

Reply to