Stress Concentration Factor

Hi guys-

If there are any fellow Mech E students, or actual practicing Mech E's, out there maybe you could help me out with this:

I need a stress concentration factor for a solid circular shaft, with a transverse hole, in bending. My textbook and the online resources I've found have factors for the case where the bending moment is perpendicular to the axis of the hole - but I have the case where the moment is parallel to the axis of the hole.

The (current) dimensions are that the diameter of the shaft is 1.25" and the diameter of the hole is 3/8".

Reply to
Julian Peters

Given d/D = .375/1.25

Stress max = k*32M/(Pi*D^3) where k = 3.000 - 6.690(d/D) + 44.739(d/D)^2 - 53.307(d/D)^3 Stess max = 3.58*32M/(Pi*D^3)

Phil Holman

Reply to
Phil Holman