CO2 Concentration Measurement.

I saw a request for help with differential peak sensing CO2 concentration equipment. I put this short response together, but I can't find the original relay of the request from some other group... so for what it's worth.

Warning: this treatment may be naive......

Comparing your expression with an expression for Beer-Lambert (below) it looks like the amplitudes of the absorption peaks are proportional to the number of gas molecules involved. The ideal gas law you have in mind is probably PV = nRT where n is the number of molecules (moles) involved. Expressing IGL in terms of number of molecules gives n = PV/rT

On the face of it, both reference peak and measurement peak amplitude should vary similarly with PV/T for an ideal gas leaving their ratio much the same so it seems like the variations with pressure and temperature you are concerned about are non ideal gas consequences and might best be handled with measuring three points of varying temp and three points of varying pressure experimentally. (3X3 test-points?)

Brian Whatcott

Appendices:

Beer-Lambert Optical absorption spectroscopy is based on the Beer-Lambert law, namely: transmission will decay exponentially as exp(-Sg(f)nL) where S is the absorption line strength, g(f) is the line shape function, n is the concentration of absorbing gas molecules, and L is the optical path length.

Your Expression

[CO2 concentration] = (-(ln (1 . (1 . Ratio/zero)/span)) / a) ^ (1/b) > Where Ratio is the ratio of active to reference peak to > peak signals and is essentially independent of variations in > source intensity over time. This ratio reduces in the > presence of target gas. It is the reduction in this ratio that > is used to determine the target gas concentration. The > reduction in ratio is non-linear. > Where zero is the ratio in the absence of target gas. > Where span is determined during calibration and > a = 0.00059896, > b = 0.87404 and the typical > span = 0.22 for a range of 0-5000ppm CO2. > The internal temperature signal is used to measure > the temperature inside the sensor. This temperature > measurement is used to correct for the ideal gas > law and also to correct for any optical filter effects on > zero and span as a function of temperature. The > internal temperature is typically 10°C higher than > ambient at 20°C due to the heat generated from the > infrared source. So my question is how to implement > the ideal gas law for the above expression? > Any and all help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Crossposting to alt.sci.physics

On Feb 12, 10:45 am, Brian Whatcott wrote: I saw a request for help with differential peak sensing CO2 concentration equipment. I put this short response together, but I can't find the original relay of the request from some other group... so for what it's worth.

Warning: this treatment may be naive......

Comparing your expression with an expression for Beer-Lambert (below) it looks like the amplitudes of the absorption peaks are proportional to the number of gas molecules involved. The ideal gas law you have in mind is probably PV =3D nRT where n is the number of molecules (moles) involved. Expressing IGL in terms of number of molecules gives n =3D PV/rT

On the face of it, both reference peak and measurement peak amplitude should vary similarly with PV/T for an ideal gas leaving their ratio much the same so it seems like the variations with pressure and temperature you are concerned about are non ideal gas consequences and might best be handled with measuring three points of varying temp and three points of varying pressure experimentally. (3X3 test-points?)

Brian Whatcott

Appendices:

Beer-Lambert Optical absorption spectroscopy is based on the Beer-Lambert law, namely: transmission will decay exponentially as exp(-Sg(f)nL) where S is the absorption line strength, g(f) is the line shape function, n is the concentration of absorbing gas molecules, and L is the optical path length.

Reply to
dlzc