Total Dynamic Head

If I have completed a pump test in the field on a centrifugal pump, and I have determined for example that the pump is delivering 100gpm @

50', and I know that the specific gravitiy of the fluid is, say, 1.2, how to I convert the 50'TDH into psi? Would I divide it by 2.31? I know I would divide by 2.31 if it were water, but what about a different s.g.?

Thanks,

Hawk

Reply to
Hawk

Dear Hawk:

If you actually measured the height pumped, and you are sure of the 1.2 (and it doesn't vary much), then it would be 50 * 1.2 / 2.31 in psig.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc1.cox

Correct. Remember that the pump discharge is in feet of fluid flowing, not feet of water, so the denser the fluid the greater the pressure in psig.

Reply to
Rusty

How are you measuring your total dynamic head?

It sound like you have a 50' static head, with a dynamic component on top...

A pressure gage will give you a direct reading of pressure even if it's calibrated in feet ( of water ).

To get a true dynamic head reading you would need a branch tube going to a sight glass/ clear tube ( at 50' ++ it's going to be a really tall tube.)

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes