Dake press hydraulics

Here's a picture of the Dake 150 ton press that I bought.

The way it works is that there is a reservoir of hydraulic fluid surrounding the ram, below the top frame. It has a weird hydraulic power unit on top, comprised of what seems to be a Bosch injection pump for a 6 cylinder diesel engine, ran by a 2 HP electric motor.

The pump draws hydraulic fluid from the reservoir, pumps it into the ram. The fluid can be bled back into the reservoir by a valve, and the ram retracts, due to a powerful spring inside.

The injection pump has an oil fill port (for lubrication, not for hydraulics) and was, ominously, empty of lube oil. I added enough oil.

I also re-filled the hydraulic reservoir with fluid. It was nearly empty.

The motor ran, however the ram would barely move. It would move, very slowly, about 1/2 of an inch, then it would stop. It would retract if I open the release valve.

Changing the rotation of the three phase motor did not help.

At this point, I stopped and decided to ask for advice on why it is not working.

I see the following possibilities:

1) The pump needs to be primed 2) The pump is not pumping 3) The fill port on the side is not the right port to use (I could not find a fill port at a higher level).

Any ideas here.

I can easily replace the hydraulic pump on top, as I have a nice hydraulic unit that is good for 5,000 PSI. So if there is no easy fix for the top mounted unit, I can easily junk it. I wanted to know if anyone has experience fixing such presses.

Thanks

Ignoramus25485

"Ignoramus25485" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Is there a throttle linkage to control the pump's cutoff point and displacement volume?

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

There is some kind of a linkage, yes, with a lever to pull. It does not seem to affect much, although common sense suggests that it should control the pump.

Ignoramus25485

I'll bet there's some sort of prefill circuit for the cylinder. Pretty common on large presses and machinery that cycles quickly. If your press has such a system, there will be a smaller cylinder or cylinders coaxial or parallel with the main ram. A coaxial cylinder may be completely enclosed in the ram housing and not obvious externally.

For example:

Ned Simmons

Dake is still around. Maybe they have a manual here:

or give them a call...

Reply to
Leon Fisk