watt meter

Hi, on our electric power meter on the side of our house there is a number called kh 7.2 . I am told that this has to do with the rate that the aluminum disk turns. Does anyone know if it means 7.2 watt-hours per revolution of the disk?? any help appreciated. Thanks anton

Reply to
anton jopko

I think that's unlikely. The domestic watt-hour meters I've seen turn at either 150, 225 or 250 revolutions per kWh. 7.2 revolutions per kWh seems much too slow, and 7.2 revolutions per Wh would be 7200 revolutions per kWh, which is too fast. Whereabouts on the meter does it say "kh 7.2"? Do you have a picture of the meter, or know the maker's name and model number? It's possible it could be a weird non-standard meter. Also, might it say "kWh 7.2" instead of "kh 7.2"?

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Chris, First off I live in ontario which may be why the meters are so different. But your answer of 150 turns per kwh is not very far off my result since 150x7.2 watt-h=1.08 Kwh. The Kh 7.2 is posted on the front of the meter. (It is not Kwh) Thanks for responding to my query. Best Regards, anton

nk that's unlikely. The domestic watt-hour meters I've seen turn

Reply to
Anton Jopko

Apologies, my mistake. I thought you said 7.2 revolutions per watt-hour, not 7.2 watt-hours per revolution. The meters I've seen state revolutions per kWh, which is why I got confused.

Yes, 7.2 watt-hours per revolution would be a sensible figure. Is "kh" the only thing it says?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Here's a pointer to a 7.2Kh meter.

3.6Kh meters are not uncommon either.

Regards

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

I haven't looked it up - but I think the intention is for a 1 kilowatt power consumption rate, there are 7.2 thousand turns per hour or 7200/3600 turns per second i.e 2 turns per second.

Brian Whatcott Altus,OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott